Merchants with the ability to provide and track Exclusive Coupon Codes opens up a number of valuable strategic partnership opportunities among their affiliates. If your company uses coupon codes, this article review:
- How to Set Up ECC Tracking Parameters
- How to Assign ECCs to Affiliate Partners
- How to Review ECC Performance
- ECC Strategies
ECC TRACKING PARAMETERS
In order for the ECC credit to be properly credited to a specific affiliate, there are three pieces that must be in place:
- The merchant must have an eCommerce platform that supports coupon codes.
- The merchant must pass the "ecc=[VALUE]" in the Order Confirmation tracking pixel (in the same line as ‘order_id’ and ‘amount’). This is not a default value, so this usually needs to be added to the script. See the Tracking Integration support article to see a template of the confirmation script.
- The specific Ad Campaign featuring the ECC must be configured for exclusive affiliate use. See the next section for specific instructions. This will award 100% commission to the exclusive affiliate by default. For example, if a customer clicks on affiliate1.com, clicks through to merchant.com, and uses a coupon code associated with affiliate2.com, then affiliate2.com will get the commission - even if that customer never visited their site.
ASSIGNING AN ECC TO AN AD CAMPAIGN AND EXCLUSIVE AFFILIATE
Navigate to Tools>Add/Edit Ad Campaigns>Create a new Ad Campaign. From this point, you have the ability to create your ad campaign. To assign the ECC, pay special attention to the following:
Ad Title: Enter the title of your ad and ensure that it closely matches your Ad Text. Consider identifying that this ad is an exclusive coupon campaign for a specific affiliate. For example: AFFILIATENAME ECC: Save 20% using code 20OFF
This is a coupon/deal campaign: Selecting ‘Yes’ will allow you to enter in your coupon code to the text ad.
Affiliate Restriction: Restrict the ad to the affiliate promoting the ECC.
REVIEWING ECC PERFORMANCE
AvantLink’s reporting makes it very easy to monitor the performance of your coupon codes. Navigate to Reports>Classic>Report: Sales/Commissions (Detail).
Select ‘Show more columns’ will expose the Coupon Code performance.
Now that ECC tracking is part of your program, there are many opportunities to strategically utilize these capabilities:
- Negotiating Media Placements. Offering an exclusive coupon can go a long way in securing media placements with affiliates. Affiliates may discount or waive placement fees altogether if they can promote an exclusive coupon to their audience.
- Clickless Tracking. Utilizing ECCs can help you work with affiliates where clickless tracking is necessary. For example:
- Audio: One great example is podcasts. Hosts can announce your promotion along with the ECC to their audience.
- Print: Examples can be printing your promotion along with the ECC on flyers, newsletters or any print advertisements by the affiliate.
- Adjusted Attribution. For merchants who have Avantmetrics integrated, AvantLink can ensure that an affiliate who is awarded the commission due to the ECC will be awarded as a ‘Checkout Influencer’ based on the program’s attribution rules. If your program does not have Avantmetrics integrated, but would like to learn more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ITEMS TO CONSIDER
- You cannot assign a Tag Group of affiliates to a ECC promotion. There is no way to determine which affiliate is credited within that tag group; therefore, the ECC must only be assigned to a specific, individual affiliate.
If you have any questions about this article or the tactics discussed, please email email@example.com.