Merchants can apply a Restricted Coupon Code (RCC) rule to coupon codes. When an RCC is used on an order both affiliate and network commissions will not be rewarded (eg no commissions will be paid out). For transparency, affiliate partners will see that they helped drive the sale. They will just not receive commission.
Merchants must pass AvantLink coupon code values in their tracking.
There are two options to verify your tracking is properly configured to pass coupon code values.
- Check Reporting. Navigate to the Classic Reports page and run the Sales Commission Details report. You are properly set up if there are coupon codes being displayed in the report. Note: you may have to select "Show more columns" to see the coupon code data.
- Perform Tracking Test. Perform a tracking test with a sale that involves a coupon code. You are properly set up if the results return the coupon code in the Sales Commission Details report noted above.
HOW TO SET UP A NEW RESTRICTED COUPON CODE RULE
Using the navigation menu , go to Commission Tools > Coupon Code.
- Click the "Add Rule" button.
- Enter the coupon code and click the "Add" button.
BEST PRACTICE & IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- For transparency, affiliate partners will be able to see the orders that are impacted by the RCC. Affiliates will see the full sales amount but receive zero commission.
- When a merchant adds an RCC, the RCC will automatically be added to your program's terms and conditions page that affiliates have access to. This gives affiliates the ability to view all RCCs.
- RCCs cannot be scheduled. Once a rule is created it is live.
- Since RCCs are displayed to affiliates, it is recommended that merchants expire the rule when the coupon code is no longer valid. If there is a long list of RCCs on the merchant details page, some affiliates may decide to send traffic to different merchants.
- Use RCCs sparingly. The use of RCCs should be limited to coupon codes that affiliates can reasonably control the use of. For example: this solution should not be used to restrict affiliate payouts for codes that are advertised on your website. If an affiliate drives a customer to your site they cannot reasonably control a customer from using the code that is widely promoted.
- AvantLink also provides the ability to assign an Exclusive Coupon Code rule to affiliates. This rule will only commission the affiliate that is given the exclusive coupon code rule.
HOW TO REVIEW RCC PERFORMANCE
There are two ways to review the performance of RCC:
- Classic Reports. Navigate to the Classic reports page and run the Sales Commission Details report. You can filter to the specific coupon code or the transaction type "Sale (Restricted Coupon).
- Performance Reports. Navigate to the Performance Reports page. Add the Coupon Code Dimension to a report. This can be accomplished by clicking on "Group Rows By" > Advanced. This will open a new window. Next, click on 'Transactions' and add 'Coupon Code'.