Want to better understand your customer affiliate activity? UTM parameters are used to track performance of specific marketing activities giving merchants a better understanding of the performance of specific campaigns. This article will review:
- Using UTM Parameters
- AvantLink's Parameters
- Google Analytic's Parameters
- How to Add UTM Parameters
Using UTM Parameters
Merchants can append parameters that are both specific to AvantLink account information and specific to Google Analytics parameters. UTM parameters are attached to a merchant’s tracking URL, which will then be present on every click through. The parameters contain dynamic values and are applied to all click throughs.
Merchants can append AvantLink account information to enhance their activity tracking. They include:
- [PUBLISHER_ID] - AvantLink's Affiliate ID for the publisher/affiliate.
- [WEBSITE_ID] - An affiliate account may have multiple websites. A separate website ID is assigned to each of the secondary websites.
- [TOOL_TYPE] - AvantLink tool type, such as "ml" = "merchant link" (banner / text ads), "cl" = Custom Link, "df" = datafeed.
- [AD_NAME] - Ad campaign name as displayed in Merchant Ads.
- [AD_ID] - Ad ID as displayed in Merchant Ads.
Google Analytic's Parameters
Merchants can append a number of Google Analytics parameters to enhance their activity tracking. They include:
- Campaign Source (utm_source) - Use utm_source to identify a search engine, newsletter name, or other source. Example: utm_source=google
- Campaign Medium (utm_medium) - Use utm_medium to identify a medium such as email or cost-per- click. Example: utm_medium=cpc
- Campaign Term (utm_term) - Used for paid search. Use utm_term to note the keywords for this ad. Example: utm_term=running+shoes
- Campaign Content (utm_content) - Used for A/B testing and content-targeted ads. Use utm_content to differentiate ads or links that point to the same URL. Examples: utm_content=logolink or utm_content=textlink
- Campaign Name (utm_campaign) - Required. Used for keyword analysis. Use utm_campaign to identify a specific product promotion or strategic campaign. Example: utm_campaign=spring_sale
How to Add UTM Parameters
If you would like to add any of the parameters discussed above to your account, please email email@example.com.